Safety improvements at the Bunbury Speedway are beginning to take shape after State funding came through to prepare for a major speedway season next year. Bunbury MLA Don Punch visited the speedway last week to inspect progress on the new fences, which are fully funded by a State Government grant to gain the track a five-star safety rating. The WA Government contributed $30,000 towards the urgent repair works necessary for racing to go ahead at the venue in December last year and has since delivered an added $750,000 election commitment. The funding will allow development of track cables on catch fences and catch fence structures, mesh and replacement of a concrete wall. Bunbury Car Club president Kade Helms said the funding was a major investment in Bunbury’s tourism and economy. “The economy the speedway brings into Bunbury is phenomenal and we support the economy more than anything,” he said. “In 2015, the Australian title weekend brought in nearly $1.5 million, so the people we bring in are far and wide. “They come through from Albany, Kalgoorlie, all the way across the State just to come race and be spectators here.” The first major event expected to be held at the speedway will be the USA v WA Speedweek, beginning on January 1. “I reckon for (Speedweek) we will fill the entire grounds up again,” Mr Helms said. Bunbury MLA Don Punch said the speedway was an important venue for Bunbury, locally and in a tourism capacity. “It’s a community-driven organisation that has a long history in Bunbury, great benefits for the locals because locals love speedway, and also the people who ... come down here to see it,” he said. “From a State Government point of view, we are really pleased to work with Kade and the team (to get them) up and running last year on an emergency temporary basis.” “Now, seeing all the work happening, it will really guarantee the future of the speedway for a really long time to come.” The redevelopment is expected to be completed in mid-December.