The Waroona Agricultural Show has been cancelled for the first time since World War II, after Premier Mark McGowan announced a two-month extension to phase 4 coronavirus restrictions. The show was planned for October 10, however organisers on Thursday decided not to go ahead with the event. The Perth Royal Show was cancelled three days prior, leaving organisers of the Waroona Show with little choice but to follow suit. Phase 5 restrictions have been pushed back to October 24, following a surge of COVID-19 cases in Victoria. Show organisers said they were concerned about the health risks associated with holding a big event. The show last year attracted a crowd of almost 20,000 people and health officials fear it would be too difficult to enforce physical distancing. Concerns were also expressed on how contract tracing would take place if an outbreak was to occur. Show president Eric Walmsley said “with careful consideration and heartfelt disappointment, we have decided that this year’s show will be postponed”. “We feel the health and wellbeing of our committee, volunteers and the broader community are of paramount importance to us.” This year would have marked the 90th anniversary of the show. The cancellation of Waroona’s event casts a shadow of doubt over the Brunswick Show. However, president Mark Talbot remains hopeful there will still being an event of some sort in Brunswick on October 24. The Brunswick Show date is set to coincide with the first day of phase 5 restrictions. “Our current plan for the show was designed around phase 4 restrictions,” Mr Talbot said. “We have spaced out our events and changed our timetable around to ensure people can socially distance.” The typical show day attractions are planned for the Saturday, while the equestrian events are planned for Sunday. A decision on the Brunswick Show is expected to come in the following weeks.