Bunbury family chooses to keep kids at home
As coronavirus cases in Australia continue to multiply, so too does speculation from parents that the Government will temporarily close schools.
One concerned parent in Bunbury made the call late last week to take her three daughters out of primary school and school them from home.
Up until Friday, Jessika Sharp’s children attended Bunbury Baptist College.
This week school looks a little different for Amelia, Lula and Clover.
“I made this decision so we could help stop the spread in our own community,” Mrs Sharp said.
“My husband is a FIFO worker up north and I didn’t want to take the risk.
“If the girls get the virus and they’re stuck at home with me, then at least it stays in our house and doesn’t go any further.”
With children from three years of age through to nine, Mrs Sharp said that while having her children at home was a tough gig, she was doing what she believed was best for her family and the community.
“Everyone thinks I’m doing this because I enjoy having my kids at home, but it is tough,” she said.
“I’m not a teacher and this isn’t home schooling, it’s schooling in the middle of a crisis and doing what I can to make sure the kids are still learning, but most importantly keeping them safe.”
Having spent almost a week at home, the trio have participated in a range of activities.
“Each day we do some reading, arts and crafts and online learning and have also planted some seeds outside and are watching them grow,” she said.
“Something we have all learnt is to use the resources we have available, especially with food.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails