Home
breaking

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle make shock UK return with Archie and Lilibet six years after ‘Megxit’

Headshot of Madeline Cove
Madeline CoveThe Nightly
VideoNicole Kidman has shared photos from a family holiday in Iceland, where she travelled on a superyacht with two of her daughters and sister.

Six years after dramatically walking away from royal life and swapping Britain for California, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing for a major homecoming.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly moving back to the UK with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, for an extended period from this month, marking arguably the biggest change to their family life since “Megxit” in 2020.

The children are expected to begin school in Britain in September, while Prince Harry and Meghan establish a private, non-royal home base in the country.

It is a remarkable full-circle moment for a couple whose departure from Britain triggered years of royal turmoil — and could ultimately give Prince Harry and Meghan a version of the “half in, half out” existence they originally wanted.

The Sussexes will not abandon their life across the Atlantic. They are expected to retain their Montecito home in California as well as their property in Portugal, effectively splitting their lives between three countries.

The location of their new British residence and Archie and Lilibet’s school are being kept private.

The move will give the Sussexes their first permanent foothold in Britain since leaving Frogmore Cottage, their former Windsor home.

It also comes after a significant thaw in Prince Harry’s relationship with his father, King Charles.

The King was reportedly informed of the family’s plans on Sunday and is said to welcome the prospect of spending more private time with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren.

The development follows Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet’s first reunion with their grandfather in more than four years during the Sussexes’ recent summer visit to Britain.

But their return does not signal a comeback as working royals.

King Charles is reportedly firm that Prince Harry and Meghan will remain private individuals, leaving the couple free to pursue the independent careers and charitable work they have built since departing royal duties.

For Prince Harry, having a British base means spending considerably more time working with organisations including WellChild, Scotty’s Little Soldiers and the Invictus community.

Meghan, meanwhile, is expected to continue running her lifestyle business As Ever and pursuing other projects from the family’s international bases.

The move also represents a striking change in Prince Harry’s long-running battle over security.

After stepping back from royal duties, the Sussexes lost their taxpayer-funded police protection and Prince Harry spent years fighting the decision, repeatedly raising concerns about bringing Meghan and their children to Britain.

The decision to now establish a family home and send Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet to school in the UK is perhaps the clearest indication yet that Prince Harry feels comfortable enough with the security situation to return.

There had also been clues that Britain was back on his radar.

Singer Joss Stone revealed last year that Prince Harry had been particularly interested in her decision to move her own family home to Britain after years in Nashville.

“He asked about how we were settling back in and was genuinely interested in our move home. He’s just very warm and down to earth, as always. Maybe Harry will move back too. That would be nice,” Stone told Hello!

“He was saying how wonderful the schools are here and how important community is for children,” she added.

But while relations with King Charles appear to be improving, one major piece of the royal puzzle remains unresolved.

Prince Harry and Prince William reportedly remain distant and in “no contact”, despite speculation their relationship could eventually thaw.

“I thought it would have perhaps eased a little bit by now, to be honest. But there has been no movement, especially on William’s side,” a source told People in July.

Prince Harry himself has publicly made clear what he wants.

“I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore.”

Now, six years after leaving, his return to Britain may provide the biggest opportunity yet to find out whether that reconciliation is possible.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails