Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham admits the club has “torpedoed” its premiership chances by banning five players for their behaviour at a Melbourne hotel.
Swans stars Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner and Nick Blakey, as well as Riley Bice and James Jordon, won’t play again this season in a bombshell ruling from the club.
The players have been linked to an ongoing police investigation into sexual assault allegations at East Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel, with no formal interviews taking place and no charges laid.
The AFL has let Sydney handle internal punishments for breaches of club standards and behaviours, wary of not potentially jeopardising police enquiries.
The club stressed the suspensions were independent of the police investigation.
“The fact that we’ve got to the place where we are today, and we’ve effectively suspended the players for the balance of season when we’re heading into a final series, just tells you how seriously we’ve taken it,” Pridham said on Wednesday.
“The only way we can deal with it is to put our foot down incredibly hard, which we’ve done.
“A very important point to make is that we, as a football club, that is our business and to effectively torpedo our season by making decisions just tells you how serious we’re taking it.”
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich wasn’t as pessimistic about the season.
“I am always glass half full and I’m always optimistic of what our club, what our people can do,” Pavlich said.
“We’re deeply embarrassed and ashamed that the poor choices of five of our players, and the impact that’s had on the women involved, and also the club, our supporters and so many other people.”
Heeney, Warner and Blakey are among Sydney’s most important players and would have been in All-Australian contention.
Bice and Jordon have played key roles during the past two seasons and are regulars in the senior team.
The release of the All-Australian squad has been delayed due to the controversy.
The Swans will host North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday with a barely recognisable team to the one that beat Essendon last week.
The match will also be a double-header, with the Swans’ AFLW team facing Essendon before the men’s match.
Sydney have locked up second spot on the ladder and are guaranteed two home finals.
While the five players won’t be eligible for selection again this season, they will be invited back to the club at an appropriate time.
“We’re not abandoning our players,” Pavlich said.
“We are supporting our players through this really challenging time for them.”
Pavlich and Pridham emphatically backed Swans coach Dean Cox, who reportedly returned to the hotel after midnight.
“The staff, coaches, physios, doctors, commercial staff, media people had a get together, pre-planned get together,” Pavlich said.
“They all finished the game quite late so they got back to the hotel quite late, had some dinner, and then went out.
“It wasn’t inappropriate what they did.”
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon on Tuesday released a statement calling for more respect around the allegations.
Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were “deeply concerning”.
“While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport,” Dillon said.
“The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.”
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails