Home

Call for more action after synagogue gates rammed

Allanah Sciberras, Andrew Stafford and John KidmanAAP
A 32-year-old man is accused of deliberately ramming the gates of Brisbane's main synagogue. (PR IMAGE PHOTO)
Camera IconA 32-year-old man is accused of deliberately ramming the gates of Brisbane's main synagogue. (PR IMAGE PHOTO) Credit: AAP

Jewish community leaders are calling for more to be done to quell anti-Semitic attacks after a utility was reversed into the gates of Brisbane's largest synagogue.

The incident demonstrates why Queensland needs stronger legislation to criminalise acts of hate, according to the state's Jewish Board of Deputies.

Anti-Defamation Commission chair Dvir Abramovich said it served as "a stark reminder that anti-Semitism is escalating beyond words".

Police say a 32-year-old Sunnybank man forcibly rammed his Toyota Hilux utility into the gates of the synagogue in central Brisbane shortly after 7pm AEST on Friday.

He fled the scene before being tracked by Polair, apparently making is way back towards the Margaret Street premises.

WA's biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox

Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free

Sign up

He was taken into custody shortly after.

Police are satisfied the man acted alone and do not consider the matter an act of terrorism.

They also believe he had no intention of injuring anyone and did not attempt to enter the synagogue.

No one was hurt during the incident although footage shows a person standing behind the gates, in the vehicle's path, as it approached.

"The CCTV is chilling: a car reversing with force toward gates behind which a person stood just centimetres away," Dr Abramovich said.

One of the gates was dented and the other knocked off its hinges.

It's understood police are considering the driver's mental health and intoxication as contributing factors.

He has been charged with wilful damage, serious vilification or hate crime and is also accused of dangerously operating a vehicle and possessing dangerous drugs and the utensils for their use.

Queensland Jewish Board of Deputies vice-president Libby Burke said the community was deeply distressed that a place of worship had been targeted.

"This attack is not only an attack on my community, it is an attack on all of us," she said.

"A synagogue is a sacred space - a place of prayer, reflection and community.

"To see its gates viciously rammed is profoundly devastating and is not dissimilar to what we have seen throughout the globe."

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli quickly took to social media on Saturday, revealing that he had spoken with Jewish leaders and police.

"I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously," he wrote.

"This is another signal as to why we have put strong laws before parliament to protect all people where they worship."

Ms Burke agreed.

"Words matter. Hateful slogans and symbols create the environment in which violence becomes possible," she said.

"That is precisely why we need strong legislation to criminalise acts of hate that are directly targeting Jewish Queenslanders."

However, an inquiry into the proposed legislation has been told some stakeholders were not consulted before the bill was drafted.

The Federation of Islamic Councils, the Islamic Council of Queensland and the Ethnic Communities Council of Queensland told the state's parliamentary committee for justice, integrity and community safety that they had been bypassed.

Under the laws, Queensland's attorney-general would have the power to outlaw phrases, the public uttering of which would be punishable by two years in prison.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails