SWFL 2022: Harvey Bulls reserves live to fight another day despite loss in second semifinal

Headshot of Justin Fris
Justin FrisHarvey-Waroona Reporter
Jake Cannell (Harvey Bulls reserves) casts a forlorn figure as the Hawks boot a late goal on Saturday.
Camera IconJake Cannell (Harvey Bulls reserves) casts a forlorn figure as the Hawks boot a late goal on Saturday. Credit: Justin Fris

Augusta-Margaret River survived a late surge from the Harvey Bulls on Saturday afternoon to directly advance into the reserves grand final.

The Hawks ran out 11.10 (76) to 11.6 (72) victors against the Bulls, who will now face South Bunbury in the preliminary final on Sunday at Hands Oval.

Heading into the clash, the Bulls received an added bonus, with classy midfielder Dean Miller receiving the 2022 Times Medal on Friday night — an award given to the player adjudged best and fairest in the reserves competition.

The Hawks also had fortune on their side, with a handful of senior players — including Areef Walker, David Hill and Cody Rodgers — available for selection.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Getting the jump on their rivals, the Bulls led by 17 points at half-time, with forwards Trent Murdoch and Cameron Penny presenting well.

However, the Hawks, who were desperate to reach the grand final in front of their home fans, responded positively after the interval by not only booting four unanswered goals, but also by holding the Bulls scoreless.

Some home supporters pre-emptively began to cheer in the outer about grand final plans midway during the final term. However, these words were quickly swallowed, as the Bulls fought back with a flurry of goals nearing time-on.

Unfortunately for Bulls coach Carlo Celisano, his men ran out of time, with the Hawks holding on in the final seconds.

On Sunday at Payne Park, South Bunbury claimed the first semifinal, ending reigning premier Bunbury’s season 6.10 (46) to 2.6 (18).

In the colts, Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault will lock horns with Bunbury, after they defeated the Dunsborough Sharks 9.4 (58) to 5.10 (40) on Saturday in the first semifinal.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails